PlayStation 2 HDD checker
Update 2016/09/16: v0.94 released!
Update 2016/08/09: v0.932 released!
Update 2016/06/10: v0.931 released!
Update 2016/01/09: v0.93 re-released!
Update 2016/01/06: v0.93 re-released!
Update 2016/01/04: v0.93 released!
Update 2014/06/26: v0.92 re-released!
Update 2014/06/23: v0.92 released!
Update 2013/09/30: Bug report.
Update 2013/08/06: Initial public release.
HDDChecker is a basic disk diagnostic tool meant for testing the health of your PlayStation 2 console's Harddisk Drive unit.
It was conceived and constructed because I didn't want to see anymore poor SCPH-20400 units being cut open, just to have the disks within them taken out for testing. >_>
It'll also be useful for those people who need to check the condition of their HDD units, but don't have a working IDE port on their computers to connect the disk to.
It has the following features:
- Detects and lists the model, serial, firmware and S.M.A.R.T. status of HDD unit 0 (Primary Master).
- Performs a surface scan of the disk.
- Supports 48-bit LBA disks up to 2TB.
- Performs zero-filling of the disk with large blocks.
- With the surface scan, bad sectors found might be remappable*.
- Checks for damage to the APA scheme and PFS partitions.
- Optimizes the partitions on the HDD to reclaim space.
*Writing to a to-be-remapped sector (those hard-to-read sectors, as recorded by the disk) may cause them to be remapped. However, this might not be the case for all disks.
- Disks up to 2TB are supported.
- Do not use (usually old) disks that are not compliant with the ATA-4 specification. Like with every other PlayStation 2 software out there that supports the ATA interface, the disk is expected to support UDMA mode 4 and S.M.A.R.T.
- If the disk's S.M.A.R.T. status is indicated to be no good (NG status), the disk is about to fail and should be replaced.
- This tool may not be able to successfully remap sectors on all drives, as there isn't an official specification on remapping sectors within the ATA specification. If writing to a bad sector isn't sufficient to cause the disk to automatically remap it, the manufacturer's tools may have to be used instead.
- If a bad sector cannot be remapped, the disk is dying and should be replaced.
- As zeros will be written to the bad sector in an attempt to cause the disk to remap it, the data stored within the bad sector will be lost. Do not choose to remap the sector if it contains data that cannot be lost.
- The estimated time remaining counter is not accurate. I don't know why it's that bad, but it could be due to the overhead of the entire system and this program's single-threaded design. Since this program is targeted at power users, this isn't a major problem.
For more information on supported languages and how support for languages can be completed, click here. A template for translating this software is provided in the downloads section of this page.
|English||Completed and built-in.|
Changelog for v0.94:
- Removed limitation on optimizing disks with HDLoader games.
- Added unofficial support for optimizing HDLoader games to hdsk.
- Added a 2TB capacity limit.
- Removed unused size labels.
- Updated to compile with the latest PS2SDK changes.
- Added updated German, French and Spanish localizations.
- Corrected error in Portuguese localization.
- Corrected sector error check.
- Added workaround for the PSX to the scanning and zero-filling.
- Removed Japanese font. Will re-add if a localization is added.
- Changed font support to not store the whole font in RAM, unless the tool is booted from the HDD unit.
- If booted from the HDD unit, the whole font file is read into memory.
- Changed UI initialization code to allow the font to be re-opened after IOP reboots.
- Expanded initialization thread's stack size to correct stack overflow.
- Added missing disk check status labels.
- Added a display for the number of errors found.
- It is no longer considered an error, if the number of errors fixed is not equal to the number of errors found.
- The cancel button is no longer fixed to CROSS for all operations.
- Corrected progress bar display during disk optimization.
- PS2SDK APA update: fixed incorrect behaviour of HIOCGETPARTERROR.
- Improved efficiency of VRAM storage for fonts.
HDDChecker v0.94: http://www.mediafire.com/?7y8ecbn4nrdd267
HDDChecker v0.94 (Source code): http://www.mediafire.com/?wk4pxjkymjddeak
Translation template for v0.94 and later: http://www.mediafire.com/?1o8o0jp07gp32sw
As usual, please do not hotlink to the file as the link/filename will change with every release.