Playstation 2 External Storage Device Game Loader (PS2ESDL)
Update 2011/06/21: PS2ESDL v0.820 is now released for real.
Update 2011/06/22: PS2ESDL v0.821 is now released (Fix for ISO9660 disc image game list blanking bug).
Update 2011/06/28: Uploaded skinning guide (Documents the creation of skin parameter files).
Update 2012/09/26: Some links are temporarily down.
Update 2012/10/06: Restored download links.
The Playstation 2 External Storage Device Game Loader (PS2ESDL) is my Playstation 2 game loader. It allows the user to load games from an USB device.
New versions are released at every version X.X10.
Hence, a new version of PS2ESDL would be released at v0.800, v0.810, v0.820 etc.
I had started building PS2ESDL in April 2009, fueled by a want for a good USB device game loader, and because I wanted to reduce wear on my Playstation 2's laser.
There was a commercial USB device game loader, called USBExtreme (USBAdvance is a cracked version of it).
However, it had poor game compatibility rates, and many of my games didn't work with it.
Although PS2ESDL's developement was based on a lot of other people's projects, research and sample code, I've re-written PS2ESDL to use code written by me. It has been my largest programming project so far.
I continued it's development after it's *termination* in January 2010 - because other game loaders that support USB devices really cause some games that stream their videos to REALLY perform REALLY badly (Mostly my anime games like OTOBOKU, ToHeart2 etc). :<
Nobody has to use it - after all, OpenPS2Loader is already able to do what my loader can do, but I completed it for my own personal achievement, and because I wanted to play my anime games with LESS FMV stuttering. XD
How to use this
Instructions on using PS2ESDL can be found here:
PS2ESDL official guide: PS2ESDL official guide.
PS2ESDL supports the traditional USBExtreme, ISO9660 disc images and it's own PS2ESDL game format.
PS2DCDMP is PS2ESDL's native game installer, and can be found here.
PS2ESDL v0.820 and later supports plugins:
How to install: Place the plugin into the same place where PS2ESDL is launched from.
Creating and using skins
PS2ESDL v0.820 supports skins too.
How to use and create skins: Skinning guide
Some photographs (Click to open an enlarged version in a new browser window):
2010/10/31: New photographs (Click to open an enlarged version in a new browser window):
2010/11/29: New photographs (Click to open an enlarged version in a new browser window):
From left to right:
- PS2ESDL v0.800 OB (Displaying a list of games with 6 of them written in Japanese and one written in English)
- Gameplay of Triggerheart Exelica Enhanced
- The main menu of Triggerheart Exelica Enhanced
- A part of it's opening video.
- Another part of it's opening video.
2010/11/30: Some videos of me running some of my games:
From top to bottom:
- Metal Slug Anthology [SLUS-21550]
- Rosario to Vampire Capu 2: Koi to Yume no Rhapsodia [SLPM-55189]
- Sugoi! Arcana Heart 2 [SLPM-55147]
All of the videos demonstrate PS2ESDL's ability to display game titles that are written in Japanese.
When I launch the game, the game list shown has 6 game titles written in Japanese and 2 game titles written in English.
For those who will like to view the full changelog of PS2ESDL's latest development version, please click here.
Brief list of changes since v0.810:
- Skinning support.
- Improved skinning support over the skinning support in v0.816.
- Performance has improved by approximately 10%
- Plugin support.
- iLink/Firewire/IEEE1394 support (As plugin)
- ISO9660 disc image (.ISO file) support
- Exit function (Hold R1+SELECT to exit to the OSDSYS)
- Some bugs were fixed.
- sceCdSync() now supports mode 17 again (A handful of games need this).
- New patch file released to support Rugby League 2 and Iron Man.
- Graphics corruption should no longer be visible when using the PAL video mode.
- Game title sorting option added.
- Now supports the PS2ESDL game format v1.22
- PS2DCDMP v0.99 supports only the PS2ESDL v1.22 game format!
- If you are using an older format (E.g. for PS2ESDL v0.810 and older), please use the upgrader utility.
Official PS2ESDL compatibility list
PS2ESDL has a official compatibility list. Please click here to view it.
PS2ESDL v0.821 Open Beta (Please don't hotlink to this file!!): http://www.mediafire.com/?g514yl2n7r2940p
PS2ESDL v0.821 Open Beta (Source code, hosted by Mediafire): http://www.mediafire.com/?3899a4cllx73jt4
The original post where I posted about this project: Playstation 2 External Storage Device games Loader (PS2ESDL)
The "sister" post where I posted about this too: New PS2 game loader: Playstation 2 External Device game Loader (PS2ESDL)
If anyone wishes to link to the file(s), please just link to the home page.
If the link(s) go down, I'll try to re-upload the resource(s) somewhere else.