Official PS2ESDL guide
Last updated: 2:25 PM 6/28/2011
Setting up and using PS2ESDL
1. Download the latest copy of PS2ESDL.
2. Uncompress PS2ESDL.elf and patches.ppi into your USB disk.
The FAT32 filesystem must be used. NTFS is not supported.
3. Install your games with a USBExtreme-compatible tool, or with PS2DCDMP.
4. Defragment your disk (Your games should be 0% fragmented).
- PS2ESDL assumes that your games files are contiguous (Not fragmented).
- I've been using the Auslogics Disk Defragmenter.
!!! Do not use the Windows Defragmenter nor Power Defragmenter !!!
Launching PS2ESDL v0.800 with uLaunchELF...
5. Start PS2ESDL and run your games.
- Press either CROSS, CIRCLE or the START button to start a game.
- Hold any buttons and/or triggers you need to enable the desired compatibility modes, and to set/override the default cache size.
- If you used PS2DCDMP to install your game, you may still hold the buttons/triggers to set any compatibility modes that were not enabled at install time, and to also change the cache size.
Place your skin in the directory where PS2ESDL is launched from.
A skin is made up of:
- UI.png - skin image
- UI.dat - skin parameter file
Click here to view the skinning tutorial.
Place your 640x448 PNG background as either:
- (The place where PS2ESDL was launched from)/background.png
- This is also the order in which PS2ESDL will search for a loadable background.
- If PS2ESDL can't load a background from locations a, b, nor c when it was launched, it'll then only keep trying to load one from d.
- The background can be smaller in size (It won't be stretched nor centered).
- The width and height of the background image MUST be divisible by 4.
- PS2ESDL will not load and display images that exceed a size of 640x448.
Your plugins should be named as extensionX.plg (Where X is a number from 0 to 3).
Place your plugins into the same folder where PS2ESDL is launched from.
Note: PS2ESDL will load games from the first device it finds games on.
Options and compatibility modes/performance options:
Options (Hold while selecting your game)
- TRIANGLE: Unhook Syscalls (Aka HDLoader's "Mode 3"):
- "Unloads" PS2ESDL after the game is loaded. Some games crash without this option.
- SQUARE: Force Synchronization.
- Some games that time out when data is being read too slowly need this (E.g. FFXII and Viewtiful Joe).
- L1/L2/R1/R2 -> 8/16/24/32 cache sizes respectively
- A larger cache size usually means better performance.
- A cache that is too big can cause your game to crash.
- Choose only one of them. The default is a 2-sector cache (When no triggers are held).
How to enable the required mode(s): Hold the required combination of buttons/triggers as your select your game.Other options/functions:
- SELECT: Open the options/configuration menu.
- R1+SELECT: Exit to OSDSYS.
SCPH-10000 and SCPH-15000 consoles are also supported!Games that don't work (And/or won't be supported):
- Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal
Video override for PS2ESDL v0.810 and newer (If you cannot start PS2ESDL because the video mode was not supported by your television):Holding either of these when starting PS2ESDL will change the video mode:
- L1: PAL 50Hz mode
- R1: NTSC 60Hz mode